Sunday, November 9, 2008

build your own PC

recently I built another computer.  Just so that you have my perspective, the first PC I built was 8086 more than 15 years ago.

So first I shop for one and found this cost $699 ( MYR )
- Celeron C430 1.8GHz
- 1 GB RAM
- 80GB HDD
- 20x DVD-RW
- 1.44 Floppy
- 56k modem
- 400W power supply
- speakers, keyboard, optical mouse

It seems like agreat deal especially you already have monitor at home.

However, my last few "LOW COST" PC always ended up with un-diagnostable cancer so I decided to pay a bit extra for quality.  So I ended up analysing which CPU and motherboard is best Value For Money in last post.

And then I also always face some problems in those $30-$50 power supply.  Their actual supply power is unknown ( ie. not 400W, not 300W.  sometimes 150W sometimes 120W)  So this time I bought a higher than 80% efficiency power supply.

At the end, this is what I bought :


Abit AN68SV
$150
AMD 62 x2 5000+ $204
DDR2 800 2GB RAM $84
Acbel 510W $177
Total $615

$615 !!!???  Cheaper than the first PC I built ( USD 200 ) with MHz CPU, RAM counted in KB and a beautiful Disk Operating System (DOS) ... haven't these 15 years changed so much!

The total paid is slightly less than what you pay for a complete low cost PC but you don't have the casing, speakers, hard drive etc.  I am fine because I can reuse all those old stuff.

At least I ended up with a good performance CPU with reliable power supply.  The only thing I worry about this new system is how long can the mother board last ?

I may FRY this board as this system will be on 24 x 7



1 comment:

** OUT OF TRACK 思 想 出 軌 ** said...

cool. u steal your wife's aromatic candle to make this photo? :)
it is great to know we only need so little money for building a pc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...